Pullman power: 'Northern Belle' Class 47 twin pack
THE COMPANY BEHIND the world famous Venice-Simplon Orient Express, and a host of premium hotels and leisure resorts, operates two luxury passenger trains in the UK; the 'British Pullman' and the 'Northern Belle'. Both have been restored or rebuilt to convey the feeling of opulent 1930s' travel. Maintained at Crewe, the latter train, which comprises a rake of heavily modified vehicles painted in Pullman colours, runs almost every weekend allowing well-heeled guests to enjoy fine dining whilst travelling to and from a selection of British cities and towns, historical locations and major sporting events.
Motive power for this most prestigious of trains is currently in the hands of Direct Rail Services, which provides a dedicated pair of Class 47 locomotives that are variously employed in top 'n' tail and double-headed mode. The duo - No. 47790 Galloway Princess and No. 47832 Solway Princess - have been painted to match the train livery with prominent 'Northern Belle' branding on their bodysides and are inevitably immaculately turned-out. In recent times, the locos have undergone modifications and upgrades at Eastleigh Works which has seen some changes to their external appearance, most notably new cooler group grilles and plated-over headcode boxes.
To mark the third anniversary of DRS operation, RAIL EXCLUSIVE has entered into a licence agreement with all the parties involved to produce both of these locomotives in model form. A special boxed pack, strictly restricted to no more than 550 pieces, will comprise both Nos. 47790 & 47832 commissioned from ViTrains, plus a host of extras including etched nameplates and numbered limited edition certificates.
Not only that, but we have been working hard with ViTrains to modify the tooling to include all the latest modifications. Essentially, this will be a new bodyshell incorporating a revised radiator grille arrangement – it will look unlike any other Class 47 model seen before and nothing like the fictitiously numbered Hornby 'Railroad' item. These exclusive models (along with the DRS versions) will never be re-run, making them highly collectable. Permission for Hornby to produce any further locomotives has since been withdrawn so this will be the only opportunity to acquire an accurate, authentic paring.
- Catalogue Nos. V2000/V2001 Twin Pack (two locos)
- Nos. 47790 Galloway Princess & 47832 Solway Princess
- Northern Belle Crimson Lake and Cream 'Pullman' livery
- Refurbished cut-away cabs and long range fuel tanks
- Upgraded bodyshell tooling with new cooler group
- Finely etched bright stainless steel radiator grille
- Factory-fitted painted metal handrails throughout
- Flush-fronted cabs with correct marker and tail lights
- Full suite of photo-etched name and numberplates
- Fully DCC compatible with NEM652 socket on PCB
- DCC options include FREE activated 'stay alive' system
- Numbered certificate and special presentation box